Friday, July 13, 2012

504 North Lubec Road, Lubec Maine

Grand Victorian Home




This grand Victorian was built in the late 1800s when the town of North Lubec, Maine, was a thriving sardine industry. This house and an identical house next door belonged to the Lawrence Family, who owned and operated the sardine cannery and pier. (The pier was deconstructed in the 1970s but would have been in the view from the window). The home overlooks Johnson Bay, which is part of the Bay of Fundy --- renowned for having the highest tidal range in the world. From the front windows you can see Roger's Island, and beyond that is Canada.

The home is on 1.4 acres and has five bedrooms, two baths, formal dining room, study, parlour/living room, fireplace, hardwood floors, original woodwork trim, tin ceilings, decorative radiators, pocket doors, large stone basement, large attic, unfinished summer kitchen, original kerosene stove, slate kitchen sink and more. Its two-story barn has a garage, a milking station, a carriage house, and a large hayloft.


There are a total of five bedrooms, one of which is a servant's quarters with a private stairway that goes down the back into the kitchen. On the back of the house is an unfinished summer kitchen with another slate sink. The Master has beautiful views of the bay and spectacular sunrises.

Sunrise over the bay...

 Servant's stairs to kitchen

The kitchen is large and has a the original kerosene stove, which still works today. (There is also a separate cooking stove/oven between the slate sink and refrigerator that isn't shown.) The kitchen is adjacent to a formal dining room and there's a special pass through to set food from the kitchen into the wood built-in in the dining room.

Finally, there is a two-story barn which holds a two car garage, a milking room with two stations, a carriage house and a large hay loft upstairs. There is also a large front and backyard.


The situation: I live in Bend, Oregon. While I have had the house professionally summerized and winterized and checked on each season, I just can't be there to take proper care of the house. I had it painted and re-roofed in 2002/2003, however, the elements have taken their toll on its exterior. I really want to find a person or family that will love and cherish this grand, historical house the way that it deserves to be cared for.

The town of Lubec is a little treasure---a relic to days gone by and an area that has unsurpassed coastal beauty. It will be the perfect place for the right person or family. I'm selling this home below market value, because I know that it will take additional resources to breathe life into it once again.
 

13 comments:

  1. This is my dream home! Charm and serenity within a gorgeous setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in Canada and would die for a house like this. Just seems to be such an issue for us to buy in the US and be able to live there. Maybe our summer house????

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is perfect for my family, it looks like a real treasure. I have a four bed house i'd be willing to trade. my house was built in 2004, its just not big enough for all of us anymore. just how much work needs to be done? please send more info and pics. My house is in Belleville, mich. And i'd like to know more about the area and it's proximity to stores etc. Thanks, Gail
    blackmidi@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. A real treasure, for sure! I wouldn't change a thing! My brother-in-law is from Lubec and much of his family still lives there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interested in knowing if the furniture is included in the sale, or if it is available?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beauty. A home that I can cherish with my family till I die. Being from New Mexico it would a huge leap to Maine but I would take a risk to spend the rest of my life there. A beautiful view and a comfortable feeling that I can almost feel my life there with my lovely wife. She would love the home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance there is high-speed internet access there for the telecommuter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG WHAT A GORGEOUS HOUSE!!!

    I live in New York and our 980 sq feet condo cost much more than this beautiful home.

    I honestly don't get what the big deal is about living in New York and why the prices for homes are so freakin high.

    This Victorian home is a BEAUTY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. There's water access across the street. I was just there last week and will add a photo of the path I use. It's perfect for taking your kayak or canoe in and out of the water.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My better half and I are interested in seeing this home. It may be exactly what we are looking for. Is the home still available? I can be reached at ecpomeroy@gmail.com

    Kind Regards,

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good afternoon.
    I have been watching this beautiful home while my commercial
    building is being sold...L-o-o-o-ng process...smile
    Is the property still available?
    Tried to contact the Realtor...1st number disconnected...2nd left message.
    You may reach me at RCT@RiverCityTowers.com.
    Thank you...Blessings
    Virginia Victoria Rideout

    ReplyDelete